Today I started work on the chicken wire skeleton. I referred to my measurements i had taken to scale my models and cut a large piece of chicken wire and formed it whilst wearing protective gloves. I used pliers and wire to help support the chicken wire in the desired form.
This form will become the shell for the head and I will make a separate jaw that will attach to the head after.
I put the cling film layer on the skeleton then started paper macheing the first layer over it. For the paper I am using recycled newspaper. I got to the forehead and wanted to make a third eye motif on the forehead to symbolise the the surreal theme, dreams and the exploration of the self. As well as practically allowing space for the puppeteer to see out of when wearing the head.
I started out using a sharpie to draw the spiral shape onto the clingfilm but i quickly made a mistake. Then I drew a spiral on paper to sketch out the shape.
I cut out the shape and stuck it to the form and used pieces of news paper to extend the lines and offer up the curves that fit the form. I drew around the shape when I was happy with them with a sharpie and shaded the places I wanted I marked out the eyes at the same time to indicate where to not paper mache along with the third eye motif.