Change of plan mask 2

Started the happy mask yesterday in the same way on the plaster mould, here is my progress.

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.50.39

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.51.35

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.52.23

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.52.55

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.53.36

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.54.07

Here it is off the mould:

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.55.09

I then went over the raw edges to make it comfortable to wear

I then cut the jaw off and taped it back in place on the mould, ready to attach the rubber to the jaw.

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.57.31

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.57.43

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.57.59

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.58.10

Now the form is complete I began preparing the head band cuts so I can scrim around them.

I left my iron in university so i am ironing the fabric with my hair straighteners.

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 11.06.54

I then started making the eyes. I wasn’t sure what would look best and how best to attach them so I made them separately first. I put news paper over the mask and did a rubbing of the shape of the eye to use as a pattern. I cut the eye out in fabric and layered it over 4 layers of the mesh fabric from the door of the tent.

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 11.07.49

I then sewed the yellow fabric to the mesh and added a pupil.

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 11.09.52

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 11.08.45

I cut it out and did the same to the other eye.

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 11.10.30

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 11.10.57

Once this was prepared I did a small scrim test on the back of the mask with the coloured tent fabric. I realised you could see the newsprint through the fabric once it had dried so I did another test where I painted white to cover it before scriming.

I worked well and didn’t smudge onto the fabric like i worried it would so I painted the whole mask white.

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 11.13.31

Then I began scriming with my design as reference.

Here is a TikTok I made of me making applying the fabric.

I thought tiktock might be useful as i wanted to make video content and its all the rage at the moment but this proved more difficult than editing together something similar would be and I didnt like the app and how it was set up so after a few tests I gave up on the app and decided just to stick to editing my own videos and creating my own effects in power director.

Lastly i sewed the head band to the mask and scrimmed the inside to finish.

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 11.20.04

I am really really happy with how the mask turned out. I had planned to add stitching between the colour patches but it looks really sleek as it is so im going to leave it how it is. I like the carnival / circus feel to it which is exstremele fitting to the context of the performance and materials so I think stiches could take away from these design influences.

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 11.18.55

I tried putting the eye in the mask but it was so expressive with out i didnt want to take away from this and so im leaving it with out them.

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: