Research and development final statements

Evaluative statement:

For the Bowl project I focused on the conceptual aspect, with the video as my main outcome rather than the bowl itself. Because of this, the advert belongs as an art piece in a gallery or potentially as a spoof advert in public somewhere, but is definitely a critical art piece. I wanted to produce a product to mock consumer culture, focusing on sustainable practice, using recycled plastic. A large part of my research for the project was experimenting with how I can manipulate different types of discarded plastics into a new product. The largest issue I encountered in this project was the planning of my advert to guarantee my message came across. I spent a long time writing and rewriting my story board for the advert before filming in order to ensure the message would be portrayed clearly without the need of the statement. I am really pleased with this final outcome as it conveys my message clearly in a humorous way, as I desired. If I had more time I would have tried to improve the quality of the final bowl, although having a shoddy bowl product helped convey the message that these fad consumer products are rubbish. 

For the second project I focused more on improving my professional, practical, skills. Originally I wanted to focus on sculpting and mould making skills, however in order to produce the hyper-realistic illusion mask I desired it quickly became apparent using CAD would be the best path to take. So I decided to practice both sculpting and CAD skills alongside each other to show how both skills in theory could come together, once my CAD skills were perfected, to create the final outcome I have designed. The largest issue I encountered with this project was definitely trying to wrangle the VR software. I have never been a fan of CAD and I was definitely a novice at the start of this project. However, now I feel confident using the programme and I have really enjoyed stepping into the VR world. I had some real issues at the start when first trying to teach myself how to use the software but once I got the basics things started to speed up. Although the potential of VR modeling is immense I found it temperamental and often unreliable. At the start of the project I lost a week of work time because the software needed updating. Then towards the end of the project I lost an entire days work when the software crashed and lost the sculpt I had done. Overall I am happy with my final 3D prints. Although not the mask I was hoping to end the project with my skills have improved no end and that is hugely valuable. Moving forward I would want to improve my sculpting skills int VR and apply finer detail before printing. I see the potential final mask prosthetic, being at home on a movie set or for an immersive theatre piece at a festival or event.  

 

Statement of intent: 

Moving forward I want to further my professional, practical, skills around mask making specifically, I’d like to improve my sculpting and mould making skills. I plan to produce a detailed latex mask, continuing with the skills I have already started learning during this project. I also feel I’d like to make something on a larger scale, having a progression series of masks as my final exhibition. I have been inspired by my dissertation research around African masks. In these societies the term mask is referred to the entire outfit not just the covering of the face. So taking this concept forward i’d like to produce a large scale mask that would cover a large portion of the body. Turning the mask into an almost puppet like, full costume. To do this I aim to improve my CAD skills and potentially work with foam and a CNC machine rather than 3D printing. I surprised myself  by how much I enjoyed the video portion of the bowl project and I think it was a strong aspect of the module. So for future projects id like to produce a performing object/ mask/ costume that could be immortalised by video. I often work towards an end performance but I would like to have a video of an example performance to be exhibited alongside my final pieces to give context of the work to the viewer. The added benefit of this would be that I can advertise my vision to potential future employers with a high quality recording of my performance objects in action. My aim is to one day be hired by a theatre company to help build and even perform in theatrical events, for this I will need to have high quality documentation of my skills. 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: