I have been having some trouble with Oculus, the program used in the VR modelling for my multiple features mask. So I decided in contrast to the multiple features mask, a mask with no human features would pair well to also create an uncanny effect on the viewer. Due to its more stripped back design I was able to sculpt this from clay.
I put my research to the test and went in with the skin of an orange to create a dappled effect on the smooth surface in the hope that it will make a skin like texture more realistic once painted.
I then Built up walls around the edge as a barrier to then cast the mask in plaster.
I let this set then for extra strength I did a layer of plaster bandage over the top, and then let this dry. I then went to take it apart but quickly realised I had forgotten to soft soap the small amount of plaster exposed on the face cast. This meant the plaster I poured on top stuck and I had to rip the the plaster apart and unfortunately broke the cast of the mask.
Next Time: REMEMBER TO PUT SOME SORT OF RELEASE ON THE PLASTER ON THE FACE CAST!
This was very frustrating but it was a very simple sculpt so I am grateful this mistake was made on this attempt. When cleaning my face cast I realised PVA was a pour choice as a sealant because its water based. So once I had cleaned the face cast as best I could, I covered it in in a layer of satin wood varnish to make sure this problem won’t happen again and make it easier to clean and reuse. Although to be on the safe side I will use some sort of oil based release on any exposed plaster even though its varnished now, just to be on the safe side.
I’m also thinking it might be best to use silicone to make a mould next time. I only used plaster this time as it was such a simple design. But to make it to a professional standard I think this will be best.