Weaving experiment

I decided to try and use the rubber itself to create the form of a bowl by weaving strips around an existing bowl. I taped the base strips at the rim of the bowl and then got one long thinner strip to weave around it with. i sewed along the top layer to keep it secure.

It proved difficult to get a tight weave and did slip a lot during the weaving process. I did manage to complete it however here is the final product:

I managed to make a bowl shape with this technique but over all i’m disappointed with the result. its messy and extremely gappy. After this i’ve felt the wearable bowl I aim to make should be made from brightly coloured plastic to simulate most mass produced fad products. As much as i love this material i think it portrays a different message than what i’m going for and i want it to be as clear as possible going forward. 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: